The Washington State Democratic Party will be holding its caucuses to choose its nominee on March 26th at 10 AM. It will be Washington Democrats’ opportunity to make their voices heard on who should be our next President.
Anyone who will be 18 by November 8, 2016 and affirms they are a Democrat on Caucus Day is eligible to participate.
The 11th Legislative District Democrats will be hosting 8 caucus sites for our voters to participate. Voters must show up to the correct caucus site in order to participate. If you’d like to vote, here’s what you need to do:
- Find your caucus site and pre-register: https://www.demcaucus.com/register. The site will give you a registration form that you must print out and bring to your caucus site. If you lose your form, you can always fill out a new one at the site. This is your way of skipping the registration line. We will not have printouts of your pre-registered forms on site. Your caucus site and the address will be on the top of your registration form.
- Show up to your caucus site before the caucus is scheduled to begin. 9:30am is a good target time. You must show up to the correct caucus site that you were given in step 1. You will not be able to caucus at another site.
- Caucus! Your precinct will decide which Presidential candidate will get delegates from your group of neighbors. You will also be picking those delegates that will go on to the Legislative District Caucus and the King County Convention. Those delegates will eventually decide who goes to the Congressional District Caucuses, the State Convention, and the Democratic National Convention.
Remember: these are all your neighbors and fellow democrats. Be respectful, listen, converse, and have fun!
- If you can’t show up to the caucus because of religious reasons, military duty, a disability, or a conflicting work schedule, fill out a surrogate affadivit form and send it to the Washington State Democrats.
Surrogate Affadavit formA copy of this form properly completed and signed must be sent either by mail, fax or as a scanned PDF to the State Democratic Party headquarters and must be received no later than Friday, March 18, 2016 at 5:00 P.M., this is so that the form may be forwarded to the proper local party organization prior to the Saturday, March 26, 2016 Precinct Caucuses.Properly completed and signed Surrogate Affidavit Forms must be sent to:
Jaxon Ravens, Chair
RE: Surrogate Affidavit Form
Washington State Democratic
Party PO Box 4027
Seattle, WA 98194
Fax: (206) 583-0301
Here are some additional resources:
- Caucus information from the state party: http://www.wa-democrats.org/page/2016-democratic-caucuses
- A video explanation for the caucus process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIitlT5TMn0
- A good blog resource on the caucuses: http://kence.org/2016/02/24/everything-you-need-to-know-to-participate-in-the-wa-democratic-caucus/
Here is a list of the 11th Legislative District Democrats precinct caucus sites. Remember, you must show up to the correct site! And, pre-register and bring your form to the site. Your caucus site and its address will be on the top of your form.
- Seattle: IAM District 751 Union Hall, 9135 15th PL, Seattle
- Renton Highlands: Carpenters Hall, 231 Burnett Ave. N. Renton
- Renton Highlands North: Hazen High School, 1101 Hoquiam Ave. NE, Renton
- Benson-Cascade: Nelsen Middle School, 2403 Jones Rd. S., Renton
- East Hill: Meeker Middle School, 12600 SE 192nd ST, Renton
- Fairwood: Northwood Middle School, 17007 SE 184th St. Renton
- Renton Highlands East: Maplewood Hights Elementary, 130 Jericho Ave NE, Renton